Hello IJM Family!
My name is A’Maiya Allen and I am so excited to be your International Junior Teen. I know that this year is going to be filled with adventurous travels, bonding with my sister queens, and of course service in my community. I thought since you guys are spending the whole year with me, I would share a little bit about myself. So here are five facts that you may not know about me…
- I’ll be a junior in high school and I’m officially a licensed driver. The best part about having my license is the freedom of being able to drive myself pretty much anywhere I want to go. Now for the bad part – I just hate paying for gas!
- I play two instruments: the alto saxophone and the clarinet. I started playing the clarinet in 6th grade and taught myself how to play the alto sax during the summer of 8th grade. Currently, I play the clarinet in my schools symphonic band and the alto saxophone in the marching band. #bandgeek
- I have a dream of becoming trilingual. Of course I’m already fluent in English, but I hope to be fluent in Spanish and Sign Language. I have been taking Spanish at my school for two years and absolutely LOVE the Spanish culture and language. I plan to take it throughout the rest of high school. After watching episode after episode of the show Switched at Birth, I was inspired to take sign language from one of my favorite people and actors on the show, Nyle DiMarco. I’m so excited to see where this new language will take me!
- I’m an only child… Yup! That’s right, no brothers or sisters. However, I do have friends that I consider sisters and have known them pretty much my whole life. Being an only child has made me realize how much I appreciate my parents.
- Lastly, I have a platform that I am very passionate about; High Heels High Hopes. Through my platform, I am able to inspire young girls to be confident through the three pillars of Elegance, Education, and Service. When I started pageants, I was extremely shy and didn’t like talking to people I did not know. By starting my platform, I was able to relate to young girls who were like me at a young age. I have had the opportunity to speak to over 1,000 elementary and middle school girls about my message of being an overall confident person.
Hopefully, this short insight on my life has helped you learn a little bit more about me. Please stay tuned to experience the exciting life of an IJM queen. I look forward to talking to you guys soon!